Recipe: Braai-ed Brinjal Kebabs
A perfect veggie option for the braai this summer. Something a little different, but we feel you may just be salivating over these once you see them sizzling on the grid.
- 2-3 Brinjals, sliced length ways into 1/2cm strips
- 3 tbsps raw honey
- 2 tbsps ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (adjust for your own heat tolerance here)
- 6 tbsps olive oil
Firstly, make a nice fire to cook on. While its burning you can prep the following:
- Lighlty salt the sliced brinjals and let them sweat in a colander in the sink for 30 mins. We want to extract any excess water here.
- At the same time, soak kebab skewers in a glass of water so they don't burn on the fire. 20-30 minutes should be enough.
- Combine honey, cumin, cinnamon, chilli and olive oil and mix into a loose paste.
- Brush evenly over the brinjal slices and thread them concertina style on the kebab skewers. Packing them quite tightly.
- Once fire has burnt down to coals you can pop them on the grid for approximately 15 minutes. Turning them consistently for an even cook.
- Serve once soft with slight charring.
We suggest serving with a fresh tomatoe & onion relish along with a garlic dressing/sauce. Easy Peasy!