Easy Peasy is a social enterprise growing a culture of home gardening in Cape Town.
Our seasonally planned trays take the guess work out of gardening and ensure that you plant what grows best now.
Our seedlings are organic and grown from open pollinated seeds with a focus on locally adapted heirloom varieties - so that your home garden thrives.
We operate from a seed garden and nursery in Mitchells Plain - growing meaningful local jobs.
We welcome you to the home garden food revolution.
Why grow your own food?
The industrial feeding system is built on the technological developments of World War II.
It has done more damage to our environment than any other human enterprise.
- It relies on fossil fuels – with a clumsy 10 units of fossil fuels producing one unit of food.
- It's the largest land-use and has the heaviest impact on biodiversity loss.
- It destroys soil through depletion and contamination.
- It's responsible for 30% of our greenhouse gases (serious implications for Climate Change).
- It's responsible for two-thirds of our wetland destruction.
- Apartheid legislation and the market dominance of large players, excludes small food producers.
- 90% of our staple crops are GMO, making us reliant on three big companies (including Monsanto) to determine pricing and policy.
It does not feed our people – and we face extremely high numbers of food poverty, hunger, malnutrition, child wasting and vulnerability to disease as well as an obesity epidemic. There is growing consensus that it poses a major threat to public health, with its greatest impact is on the poor.
You can use your buying power as votes for diverse local food systems:
Eat Seasonally, Support local growers, Grow your own food.
Easy Peasy was founded in 2017 by SEED, a small award-winning public benefit organisation that has the big vision of a resilient South Africa.